read more day by day

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

language delay?

My son had what seemed like one long, continuous ear infection until we finally had tubes inserted. Not an infection since. What a miracle! His hearing loss was not 'extensive,' but he did have some loss. I don't have a specific percentage to hold onto and measure against, and I suppose that's a hang up of sorts for me. At his last check-up the doctor said his hearing has tripled. Yes, another miracle (and an indication of how bad it must have been)! I never thought that he couldn't hear me. He's always been responsive, but then again, the normal level of noise in our house is 'shout' ... that's just the way we are. (Our daughter is one loud cracker jack.)

Anyway, it seems his language is delayed. He's been 'da-da-da-ing' for quite some time, but there's not a 'ma-ma' within ear-shot. He points and grunts well; we know exactly what he wants and what he means. He does babble, some. He says 'dog' with a hard 'o' and points at her, but it seems like he needs a reminder as to what to call her each time he sees her. He knows 'no' but doesn't say it; he knows 'kitty' and 'book,' but again, doesn't say either. I have to assume that the hearing loss is a direct attribute to the language delay. Is that all though?

He doesn't have any of the signs of autism. He doesn't have 'the face' of a down syndrome baby. He's not been diagnosed as anything but a heaping pile of health. So what's the deal? I know, I know. All babies have their own timeframe. He was a late crawler. He was my mini Army man gettin' it across the floor on his forearms and belly for a long time before he'd get on his knees. At a little more than 15 months old, he just took his first steps last Friday. Two of them. And not a one since. I know he will be able to do all that he should do and more (boastfully hopeful mom talking here) ... I'm just inpatient and definitely one who sees the glass half empty. Worry wort, that's me.

Any speech pathologists out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails