Sometimes one never knows what sparks strange thoughts or epiphanies, but while driving this evening I pondered, do people even understand what they're saying when they declare they're about to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with someone?
The first entry for the phrase "come to Jesus" in the Urban Dictionary puts it like this ...
"Getting called on the carpet, dressed down, or otherwise chewed out in a severe manner. Usually used in conjunction with "meetin'" (meeting). He was late one too many times, so the old man dragged him in the office for a "come to jesus meetin'"."
(In doing this research, I found that you can order "Come to Jesus" stickers. Hmm ...)
I've heard this phrase used plenty of times in my country girl upbringing, and I've no doubt used it a time or two myself, but since I actually HAVE come to Jesus, I'm thinking folks really should think about what they're saying (novel idea, I know).
So next time you're thinking about chewing someone out or calling them on the carpet, or (heaven forbid) just reprimanding them, choose the phrase wisely. If you really want to have a come to Jesus meeting, come with the Bible in hand and have that salvation prayer ready to roll off your tongue.


No comments:
Post a Comment