I'm reading a book right now called When God Winks at You: How God Speaks Directly to You Through the Power of Coincidence
As I read this book, I stop to reflect and try hard to remember if I've had any godwinks.
I was pretty much set to pursue a music degree in college. I was a flutist (not a flautist), had succesfully tried my hand at writing simple music, and could direct a band after two years of serving as drum major. I had already picked my college and was accepted. West Virginia University's marching band, The Pride of West Virginia, was tops and would be awarded the coveted Sudler Trophy during my graduation year in 1997. Everything was falling into place, but then God had a placement of His own - someone who saw a gift in me that I didn't see. Laura Harrawood was my English teacher and she asked me to be the Editor of the school newspaper, The Prowler. I was ecstatic and scared. With that unexpected door being opened and her full support to move ahead, I changed direction.
In the fall of 1997, I began my freshman year at WVU and took the Journalism Qualifying Exam (JQE) for the "J School" - The Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism - and passed on the first try. It wasn't a difficult test, but I heard that there were plenty of students who didn't pass. I began on the Public Relations tract but switched over to Advertising when the PR professor was too much of a pain in my rear. Oh, little did I know that his real concentration was ADV and that I'd end up with him every year by changing tracts.
So to fast-forward ... I graduated, I had a few stepping-stone jobs along the way, I'm in a writing job now, and as it turns out (possibly another godwink?), my CEO is a WVU PI Reed School of Journalism alumna, too. Wonder what's next down this path? I'm so excited to find out!
Dear Casey
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your thoughtful blog on godwinks and your conclusion that, indeed, God Winks upon all of us, all the time. Thank you for your support…and taking the time to share your thoughts with others.
You may be interested in the thesis I am working on today for my next book, Divine Alignments. My premise is that godwinks happen to all of us, but when we pull back, to look at our lives on a longer lens, perhaps closer to God’s perspective, we begin to see the heretofore invisible threads connecting us; we begin to become aware of the people, events, and other godwinks that are Divine Alignments along our paths.
Many good wishes and godwinks.
SQuire Rushnell