read more day by day

Thursday, February 03, 2011

all men were created equal

God made man. He didn't make any color of man better than another. He created them equally. Man. Woman. Period.

Thanks to sin in the world, some men have taken dominion over other men. This is not unique to the United States and African-American slavery. Do recall Hitler and his problem with Jews and various other countries plagued with genocide.

Courtesy United Colors of Benetton
Amazingly, this world is still populated with people who want to have power over another group of people. In a free, democratic country such as the United States, this is ludicrous.

I'm a girl who was raised in the South but guess what! That doesn't define me. I'm not a redneck, honky, confederate or rebel. Open your MINDS, people! See that we all bleed red. Understand that God created you just the same way he created the black, yellow, orange, brown, and white people around you. Once you understand that we only move forward by recognizing and vowing not to repeat the past, you should then ask God to forgive your ignorance and judgement of others.

Earlier today I wrote a blog post for another site I contribute to. I titled it "Celebrate Black History" and I meant it. It received some criticism. You know, every race of people has a troubling history, yet it's from that history that we rise to what we are today. Why not celebrate black history?

Blacks received their freedom by order of Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, delivered January 1, 1863. Blacks received the right to vote when the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified February 3, 1870. Blacks were granted equality in education under the May 17, 1954 decision of Brown v. Board of Education. Blacks' rights became protected with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, enabling equal employment.

Why not celebrate? All of these rights were God-given and then taken away by man. How dare any of us look down upon another. We should all be as proud as those who rose from ashes and knocked down walls to make an equal way for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Please, let's get over prejudice. In the not-too-distant future, Caucasians will be the minority. White folk, you don't want these tables turned on you. It's high-time we recall the Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you - lest you want to be on the receiving end of ill-will.





"Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list."
~Dennis Leary

Gettin' Her Groove Back: 6/60

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails